Contests and Other Events
Some students are very good at math, are motivated and love solving math problems so it’s important to provide opportunities for them to shine outside of the classroom and school setting. Math contests are competitive in nature and some students like that. Math events are another great way to encourage students to further develop and showcase their skills in mathematics.
1. The Canadian Math Kangaroo Contest – contests are held all over Canada for grade 1 through 12 students every year.
2. Caribou Mathematics Competition (Brock University) – these are held six times throughout the year for students from grade 3 to 12.
3. Math Performance Festival (University of Western Ontario) – this contest requires students to submit a creative piece (e.g., music, poem, story, game, animation skit, interview) that incorporates “rich mathematical ideas” (Contest Criteria http://www.edu.uwo.ca/mpc/contestInfo.html).
4. The Canadian Math Trail (Brock University)
5. Math Contest Prep Tests (Mathematica Centrum)