Patterning and Algebra
Be sure to check out the Guide to Effective Instruction: Patterning and Algebra, Grades 4 to 6 to support your planning and instruction in this strand.
1. University of Waterloo Invitations to Mathematics resources – main website (http://cemc.math.uwaterloo.ca/resources/invitations-to-math.html), The Centre for Education in Mathematics and Computing (2010)
2. Resources from eWorkshop.on.ca
3. Algebra lessons (www.illuminations.nctm.org)
4. The Rocket Pattern (Math Solutions PD) – A grade 6 lesson where students use pattern blocks to create the states, or patterns, of building a rocket (growing patterns), create a T-chart and record the number of rockets per stage.
6. Function Machine Virtual Manipulative (National Library of Virtual Manipulatives)
7. Virtual Balance – students practice balancing equations with variables (National Library of Virtual Manipulatives)
8. Another function machine game! (Student Interactive Activities)